Pages

 photo img_06.jpg  photo img_09.jpg  photo img_05.jpg  photo img_07.jpg

Monday, September 14, 2020

My Curly Hair Routine

 Well, here I am, alone for the next month (at least).

Every time I think about that I think what happens if we move away?  It'll be much harder when he's gone, I'll have no family around.  I'll have dogs which will help but what will I do?  I've considered starting up the ol' youtube again, but I am so boring.  

[Man, it is so smoky here.  I look outside and I get excited because it's drizzly and looks foggy, but it's just smoke from the fires.  It makes my heart break, the fact that we're getting smoke from the fires in The States, just what the people there are going through.  It's sad.]

With all this quarantine/isolation/Covid stuff, I know people have tried out different things, like making sourdough from scratch for example (my husband did this and then we had a sourdough bake off).  Why did people do this by the way? I mean it was delicious but how did it all start? My husband started his way before Covid rules got strict and then all of a sudden it was a thing. 

My thing was my curly hair journey.  Thanks to the curly girl subreddit, I have learned a lot. I still struggle some days and I definitely have better curl days than others, everyday is different.  I don't follow the rules to a T, I tried a bit at the start but it wasn't doing anything for me.  I've tried different types of gel, a mousse gel, three different curl creams, but usually the same conditioner/shampoo.  I've tried diffusing. air drying, plopping and a combo of all three!

What works for me?  

Depends on A)how much time I have

B)How patient I am

C)Do I want curls? beach-y waves? or fluff?

                                                            My different types of curls.

I don't know/don't care what my type is.  

I don't really understand the whole porosity thing.

For my reset wash I use Herbal Essences detox shampoo, I used to use this all the time 5 years ago, I love the smell, but it dried out my hair because (surprise surprise)it makes my hair too squeaky clean.  I do a reset wash every 2-3 weeks, depends on how gross my hair feels.

I wash my hair with shampoo probably 3-4 times a week, I either use L'oreal EverSleek Keratin shampoo or Healthy Sexy Hair shampoo.  The other couple times I use Tresemme Botanics Nourish? conditioner (as per the curly girl method).  Then I will condition with the same conditioner. At the start I used the L'oreal Eversleek Keratin conditioner, but that's too expensive to keep up with, considering how much conditioner I have to use.  I leave the conditioner on while I shave my under arms and legs (if I'm not lazy), then I detangle in the shower and only when wet.  I use a wet brush and I am in love with it.  Hands down, best brush I've ever purchased.  People in the reviews on Amazon say it's not a genuine wet brush and I'm not sure if it is, but I love it.  I squish to con-dish and this is where I get confused.  I have my head upside down (detangling) and I'm squishing, forming clumps but then how do you style it?  Sometimes I style upside and dry like that (if I'm diffusing) and other times I style it soaking wet and hope for the best or plop with my deep conditioner in and then style it after it dries for a bit.  

Confusing, I know.

And then proteins..........ughh.  I feel like it does nothing for my hair.  Once upon a time years ago I tried rice water.  I loved it, my hair was sleek and shiny.  Recently I've tried a Shea Moisture protein hair mask.  Eh, I don't notice any difference when I use this.

Here at the other products I like to use:

-AG Hair moisture Fast Food leave in conditioner [I love this so much, I purchased the jumbo one before finishing the normal sized one.]

-AG Curl Re:Coil Activator.  I like this one, but I'm not sure if I'll purchase again (I have another one I like better).  It's light weight and definitely helps the curl formation but I don't think I like the curls as much.

-For gel, I've been liking the Aveda Confixor Liquid gel. It's super light weight and has great hold for my fine hair, but the smell (blech). It reminds me of lavender and that is my least favourite smell.

Next up is my winning combo with the leave-in conditioner:

-AG Beach Bomb Tousled Texture.  I LOVE me some beach-y hair.  My hair looks best after a day at the ocean and this gives a similar look but feels healthier.  It's a thicker, sticky-ish cream.  I want this in a jumbo size!  I can just put this in, with no gel/mousse and my hair will still look decent.  

-AG Hair Mousse Gel Extra-Firm Curl Retention. First off, the name is weird but accurate. It comes out like a mousse and then if you rub it together it becomes stickier like a gel.  I freaking love this stuff!!  My hair is very fine and can easily get weighed down, so this is so much better than a gel for me.  I tried adding it directly to my roots yesterday, wholly big hair! It was amazing.

                           My favourite combo: leave-in, beach babe cream, mousse-gel, air dried
          Again the favourite combo,  but mousse-gel applied to the roots and then diffused (just the roots)

 The last thing I invested in was a continuous spray bottle, this is super helpful on refresh days or just to add more moisture when styling on wash days.

If you've been trying a curly routine let me know what it is in the comments, I love learning more or trying new techniques!


P.S. Use a t-shirt or micro-fibre towel to plop.  I used both and then ended up buying this and it's the easiest way for me to plop, super comfy and holds great.  Once upon a time I invested in a high end micro-fibre hair towel, don't do it, it's not worth it.  I prefer the one I linked much more.



                                                         


No comments:

Post a Comment