Pages

 photo img_06.jpg  photo img_09.jpg  photo img_05.jpg  photo img_07.jpg

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

My Health & Fitness Journey

Once upon a time I used to be a health and fitness freak.
Once upon a time was almost 3 years ago now.

I would really like to get back to my old ways of being healthy and fit, just feeling comfortable in my own skin.
I used to restrict myself with what I ate.  I never restricted my calories, but I did aim for 1500-2000/day.  But there are things I wouldn't touch like ice-cream or milk (mostly because it causes me severe bloating due to the whole lactose thing), I only ate chocolate if it was dark and even that was rare.  It was also when I decided to take my coffee black (one of the best decisions I ever made)

First, a back story.
The Summer of 2006 I gained over 10lbs.  I knew I ate bad on vacation that year, I just didn't think I ate that much.
I became depressed, didn't have a job and slept past noon everyday.
2008 I had constant panic attacks and didn't know why.
A trip to the doctor and a blood test declared I had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, a precursor to the Hypothyroidism I was diagnosed with in 2009.
Hypothyroidism explained the depression, the weight gain and the fatigue I was feeling.
I was given a medication that I now take for the rest of my life to balance my thyroid.

It took up to three months to notice the results of the medication and was I ever happy.  I had motivation, I lost the weight, I had energy!

December 2010- Stress was high in our household when my Dad broke his leg.  I was working 6 days a week and not taking care of myself.
I survived off of bananas, Coke Zero and Pixi Stix.
I became the most thin I had been in a long time.  I knew something was wrong with me.  I liked the feeling of thin but I didn't like how I had gotten there.

The new year began and I was ready to be healthy.  I quit eating fast food/eating out all together.  I gave up soda.  I ate tons of fish and chicken, vegetables, fruit.  Breakfast was my biggest meals and all my meals were planned out.  I ate 6 times a day and was drinking lots of water.  I worked my way up to working out 5 days a week.  I also used the MyFitnessPal app to keep track of everything, and that was definitely one of the biggest things in keeping my routine.
This went on for a full year.
I felt so amazing and was so happy in my body.  I want that feeling again.
After a good run in 2012.
January 2012- I went off birth control as it was driving my hormones crazy.  By June I was feeling fantastic! I was healthy, fit, off those dumb (so I thought) pills.  I had never been so confident.  I started teaching myself yoga and was just on top of the world.
Feeling so good in a dress to go out dancing!
Fun fact: this is the night I ran into my current boyfriend.
I guess around September 2012 is when I started slacking more and more on my routine.
November, it was gone completely.

May 2014- I had a wrist injury and really couldn't work out.
It wasn't until August that I could do anything.  I entered into a physio program where I went for 4 hours a day to gym. I was fit again!  But after that ended in October I went back to my old ways.

The only routine thing about my diet now is breakfast, and even then I slack on weekends.
I don't even work out now.
I'm tired all the time, but I blame that on working a sporadic schedule.

It's a new year and everyone wants to start out on a diet, going to the gym or trying some kind of fad thing.

I just want healthy and happy me back.


First off, no more junk food.
Secondly I will start with the yoga again and slowly work my way back to the weights.

This is going to be a tough journey, but I know I can do it as I've done it before.

Do you have any health and fitness goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment